- ABOUT US
DesignBuilder Simulation Training Days
The training will be run using the new version 4 of DesignBuilder and will cover many of the new and enhanced features such as the new geometric modeller with enhanced block geometry editing, the ability to mirror blocks, add individual surfaces, and produce cut-away/section visualisations.
The training is suitable for new and experienced users alike. It is fully modular so that people can attend just one or any number of the days.
The course is organised so that architects could attend only the first 2-3 days and the last 2 days are specific to engineers. The focus on day 3 is low energy and passive design modelling and it would therefore be valuable for both architects and engineers.
Dates: Monday - Friday, June 2 - 6, 2014
Cost: $299 per day.
Discounts: are available for
- booking 4 or more days;
- if more than one person from your organization will attend; and/or
- students, instructors and researchers (please complete our educational discount form).
Computer: Students are required to bring their own Windows OS laptop computer. See hardware requirements.
Day 1 - Modeller
Monday, June 2, 2014
The aim of the day is to provide trainees with the knowledge required to confidently set up building geometry using blocks, zones, and define and select constructions.
- 1. Introduction to DesignBuilder
- 2. Geometric operations
- 3. Roof geometry, Outline blocks etc
- 4. Import Floor Plans and Zoning
- 5. Model data, Activities and Zone Merging
- 6. Constructions, Infiltration Model data
- 7. Openings Model data
Day 2 - Basic Simulation
Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Introduce adjacency modifiers, templates for improved modelling efficiency, heating and cooling design, basic simulation, solar shading, lighting, and HVAC data entry.
- 1. Component blocks (ground and adiabatic)
- 2. Templates
- 3. Heating and Cooling Design
- 4. Simulation and Comparing results
- 5. Solar Shading
- 6. Lighting and daylight control
- 7. Simple HVAC
Day 3 - Natural Ventilation, Daylighting & Renewables
Wednesday, June 4, 2014
Modeling low environmental impact design solutions including natural ventilation, daylighting and renewables.
- 1. Radiance Daylight Modelling Data
- 2. Radiance Daylight Calculation Outputs
- 3. Timing - Schedules, Profiles, Holidays
- 4. Scheduled Natural Ventilation + Infiltration
- 5. Calculated Natural Ventilation
- 6. Mixed mode
- 7. PV and Wind turbines
Day 4 - Introduction to Detailed HVAC
Thursday, June 5, 2014
Introducing the power of EnergyPlus HVAC modelling in DesignBuilder…getting started with detailed HVAC including HVAC templates and the basic loop types.
- 1. Introduction to Detailed HVAC
- 2. PTAC/PTHP
- 3. Hot Water Plant Loops - Boiler and Radiator System
- 4. Chilled Water Plant Loops and Fan Coil Units
- 5. Air Loops with Chilled Beams + DOAS
Day 5 - Detailed HVAC
Friday, June 6, 2014
Focus on Detailed HVAC for more complex modelling tasks, with examples on heated floors and a VAV system building up to simulating a system with full humidity control.
- 1. Heated Floors
- 2. Viewing Detailed HVAC Results
- 3. Plant Equipment Sequencing
- 4. VAV with Reheat
- 5. Humidity Control
NOTE: Attendees will be provided with full 60 day licenses to allow them to practice with using DesignBuilder after the training.
- Dave Cocking - presenter, experienced DesignBuilder trainer and developer of the DesignBuilder online video tutorials. Dave Cocking is a Chartered Engineer and a member of CIBSE (ASHRAE equivalent in the UK) and the Energy Institute in the UK. Dave is an experienced building services engineer and energy consultant who has been working with DesignBuilder since 2008. In addition to providing training and demonstrating the software at exhibitions he has produced a range of online tutorials to help people learn how to use DesignBuilder effectively and efficiently.
- Christian Stalberg - energy modeler and trainer